I just had a super scrumptious breakfast and I am sad that I never made this before! Hubby just can’t live without eggs for breakfast, so I’m always looking to try new things. And, this also feeds my addiction to baking stuff in muffin tins. Totally can’t get enough of it. Several of the breakfast recipes that I experimented with included separately preparing the eggs and using the “cups” to hold them. I thought, what if I could actually bake the eggs right in the cups? Now that would be seriously much easier and of course create less dishes, which is a gal’s dream come true.
I honestly was pretty surprised that these worked out perfectly. I was concerned that the eggs would leak through the bread, but to my surprise, they didn’t! Of course you’ll want to make sure you don’t have any of those common air pockets in the bread you use. Also, it’s key to make sure you press your bread into the muffin tin firmly and also push down the crusts so that everything is aligned and pressed down within the actual muffin tin. If you have crusts sticking out too far, I’d imagine they would probably burn or cook at a faster rate than the egg. But ensuring the bread and crusts are all contained in the tin, you should be good to go!
Using a few drops of milk on top of the cups should also keep your egg nice and moist. This is a trick I learned recently for baking eggs, it’s definitely a must do to get that perfect cup of eggs and toast! Nom!
- This is the recipe to make one "cup". Multiply by the number of "cups" you will be making.
- 1 Egg
- 1 Piece of Bread
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Milk (Skim works)
- Optional: Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Preheat your oven to 375. Spray your muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Press each piece of bread delicately but firmly into the center of your muffin tins. Press the sides back against the walls of your muffin tin to gently to form a cup. Add one cracked egg to each cup you are baking. Add 1/2 teaspoon of milk to the top of egg.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until eggs are cooked through. Top with salt and pepper if desired.
So, what is your favorite breakfast to cook or eat?