So, I had a vision. But, I was the only one. I had recently purchased a bag of Pretzel Crisps and thought they looked like owls. The big plan was to make owl nest cupcakes. Well, my family totally didn’t think they looked like owls. The good news is that they came out ridiculously delicious anyway thanks to this slammin caramel icing recipe that I stumbled on. All was not lost on the whole creativity fail thing.
We happened to have a box of brownie mix on hand, my son wanted to make his first batch on his own. We merged the cupcake idea with his brownie mix and it was totally a home run. We simply used boxed brownie mix to make simple cupcakes then added the uh-mazing caramel icing, toasted coconut and topped with a Pretzel Crisp. They looked super cute too… even though they arguably do not look like owls apparently.
- Boxed Brownie Mix Prepared
- 1/2 C. Butter or Margarine
- 1 C. Brown Sugar (Firmly Packed)
- 1/4 C. Milk (Skim works)
- 2 C. Confectioner's Sugar (Sifted)
- 1 C. Toasted Coconut
- Optional: Pretzel Crisps for Cupcake Topper
- Prepare your boxed brownie mix into cupcakes according to directions on the package. While those are cooling, prepare your caramel icing. First, melt the butter in a sauce pan. Then, add brown sugar and bring to a boil over low heat (about 2 minutes) while stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm and add milk and gradually add confectioner's sugar. Stir until fully blended. Pour caramel icing on top of each brownie cupcake and immediately top with your toasted coconut. Top each with a Pretzel Crisp if you'd like. Enjoy!
So what do you think? Do Pretzel Crisps look like owls or is it really just me?